The big day had finally arrived; the church looked like an
anthill that someone had kicked over. People were scrambling from every room
getting flowers to bridesmaids, tying bow ties, doing those last minute touches,
and looking for various things- including the bride. Yes, the bride was missing
and the ceremony was about to begin in just a few moments. People were calling,
texting and looking all over for Jessie. Kathy, the pastor’s wife
was frantically searching every room of the church to make sure that Jessie,
hadn’t gotten cold feet and run off! She looked in every room of the
church, and was about to give up when she saw that the basement door was open. “Well,
it is the one place in this huge church that I haven’t looked…” she thought to
herself. With this last hope, she walked down the old, creaky steps to the
basement and saw a glowing light off to the corner. As Kathy turned the corner,
she at first thought her eyes were deceiving her. But, there sat the bride on an old
couch in her sweatpants, messy bun and hoodie, watching a movie on her laptop
with her earbuds plugged in. Not exactly what you would expect a girl to look like when she was just moments away from saying, "I do."
“Oh hey, Mrs. Kathy,” said Jessie. “Whatcha doing down here?”
Kathy was stunned to utter
silence. Didn’t this girl know that this was the biggest day of her life? Didn’t
she realize that that this was the day that she had been dreaming of her entire
life? Didn’t she understand the love of her life was waiting for her at the end
of the aisle?!
Kathy tried to pull herself togather. “What on earth
are you doing here, honey? This is your wedding day! Where is your dress?! Turn
off that computer right now! Brad is waiting! What are you thinking, child?!”
Jessie leaned forward, unaffected by this scolding. “Ehh, I
guess I lost track of the time. I just got tired of all of the hustle and
bustle and wanted a chance to just relax. I’m sick of all this planning and
hoopla…”
Kathy was dumbfounded. This was so backwards, so wrong!
“Besides” said Jessie
with a yawn,” I know that Brad loves me and I’m sure he will understand how
tired I am. This wedding stuff is so extreme these days… it just asks for way
too much of my energy and time.”
Was she hearing her correctly? As Kathy was trying to wrap her mind around this indifferent
attitude and outrageous quandary, she found the words to ask Jessie if she
would come upstairs and quickly get herself together.
“Come, my dear,” said
Kathy, forcing a somewhat cheerful tone. “Where is your wedding dress? Let’s do what we can with what very little
time we have.”
“Oh, I didn’t get a dress. Do you realize how much those
things cost?! Ridiculous! I can just find something upstairs; Brad wont mind.
He loves me. ”
Kathy stopped, spun on her heel and looked Jessie square in
the eye. Disbelief, surprise, and confusion shook her mind. Self control was about to go out of the window.
“Do you care about this day at all? Do you care that this man is committing his life to you? Yes, he does love you! He bought that ring on your finger, he has worked so long just to able to support you! He has built you a wonderful house that’s fit for a king! He has treated you like a princess for as long as you two have been together and has kept every single promise! Why on earth don’t you want to give him at least the courtesy of showing up to your own wedding?! ”
Jessie shrugged, clearly resenting all of this unsolicited and
unexpected criticism.
“I don’t like dressing up and making a big deal out of
things. Brad is marrying me because he loves me. Brad does treat me like a princess! He won’t get upset
with me; I know he will understand and if he doesn’t like it, he will forgive
me and move on. He always does.”
Still stunned by Jessie’s demeanor and attitude, Kathy took
a few steps, leaned up against the stair railing, took a deep breath and quietly
said, “You… do not deserve Brad. Do you realize that you are getting one of the
finest of men, and you can barely give him the time of day? I don’t know if I
should appalled, disgusted, confused or angry… I don’t know what to even say
right now. But, “ she said with a very stern look, “it is obvious to me that
Brad is getting the raw end of this deal.”
Still, Jessie was unshaken. “Oh, I know. I’ve heard all of
this before,” she said. “But, I figure if he was the one that asked me, and
that he is the one that bought such a pricey ring, and he is the one that built
that incredible house, why shouldn’t I say yes? I know I don’t deserve him, but
it’s not a big deal. He loves me and forgives me all of the time. So, nbd. I can
do what I want and he always forgives me and never stops loving me.”
While this silly story may seem like absolute ludicrous, it
is something that I’ve shared with my campers when discussing being ready for
either death or Christ’s return. I think it helped them a little and I
know that it has helped me with my perspective on life. Am I ready for my soul’s
love to return and claim me as His own? Am I just relaxing because the work is “too
much”? Do I spend little because the true cost is “too much”? Do I live my life
in whatever way that is comfortable for me because I know that He always
forgives me and always loves me? Do I even pay attention to the fact that He IS
coming?
Matthew
24:42 - Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
Matthew 25:10-13 - And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
Matthew 25:10-13 - And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
James 1:12 - Blessed [is] the man that endureth
temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the
Lord hath promised to them that love him.
Luke 21:36 - Watch ye therefore, and pray always,
that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to
pass, and to stand before the Son of man.
What is a normal wedding day like? The bride spends hours
and hours making sure that not one hair is out of place, the dress is perfect,
the makeup is just so, the flowers are flawless, and so on and so on. There is an
undeniable level of readiness, eagerness, and anticipation for this day and
this commitment. Corners are not cut. Money and time are spent. Sleep is lost.
Details are important. And what is the motivation for all of this? Love. A Godly
wedding and marriage has no room for “Bridezillas”, but I have had the
privilege of seeing Godly couples get married and their primary concern was not
themselves, but that special person. At some point, every thought is pointed to "I just want to marry this person." This must be even more so when it comes to
Christ and the Church. He is our hope! He is our joy!
James 1:12 - Blessed [is] the man that endureth
temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the
Lord hath promised to them that love him.
Luke 12:40 - Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son
of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.
The difference is that we do not know when that wedding day
is, we just know that it is closer every day and it is coming quickly.
"Come Quickly, Lord"
By Chris Anderson
Creation
groans beneath the curse—
Rebellion’s just reward.
We long to see the fall reversed
And Eden’s joys restored.
Rebellion’s just reward.
We long to see the fall reversed
And Eden’s joys restored.
Refrain:
Come quickly, Lord! Make all things new!
Redeem the church, Your bride.
With longing eyes we look for You,
for home is at Your side!
Come quickly, Lord! Make all things new!
Redeem the church, Your bride.
With longing eyes we look for You,
for home is at Your side!
So weary of
our trait’rous flesh—
Of sin we hate, yet crave—
We yearn to see temptation’s death,
Indwelling sin’s dark grave.
Of sin we hate, yet crave—
We yearn to see temptation’s death,
Indwelling sin’s dark grave.
We want to
hear the joyous cries
And join the ransomed throng:
“The Lamb is worthy!” praise will rise
From ev’ry tribe and tongue!
And join the ransomed throng:
“The Lamb is worthy!” praise will rise
From ev’ry tribe and tongue!
We joy to fix
our gaze on Christ,
Though now our view is dim.
We long for heaven’s grandest prize:
To see and be like Him!
Though now our view is dim.
We long for heaven’s grandest prize:
To see and be like Him!

No comments:
Post a Comment