Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The World is a Stage


Some of this is for the Maranatha Academy Yearbook, but all  of it is for me :)
Shakespeare said, “All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players." But, last semester that "stage" became my life and the "players" became my world. I had the privilege of directing the Maranatha Baptist Academy play as the requirement for my Senior Dramatic Productions Recital. I fell in love with these kids the first time I worked with them on their play during my sophomore year, but I never expected or dreamed that God would ever orchestrate it to where their play would also be mine.


In all honesty, I was overwhelmed with excitement when I first was given the offer, I was overwhelmed during the preparation process, and I was overwhelmed when rehearsals began. God was using an art form that I loved to show me how weak I am and how much I needed Him. Every play is an intense process, and God definitely used this one to show me that I am not the only one with problems and I must still seek opportunities to put my worries aside in order to invest in the lives of others. Lesson learned? Not by any stretch of the imagination, but I am thankful that God did use the process to point out this weakness in my life. I learned so much about myself during the play: I laugh- more than I ever realized, teens are my heart, I am such a people pleaser, and I rely on myself so very much. I think that was the biggest lesson for me;  I was so quick to forget the God that promised me His grace and strength. Eventually, my strength began to die; my personal ability was not enough and could never be enough.

About that same time, it became crunch time for the set and some of the help I had expected was not available. I know so little about construction work, so I was wondering where this miracle would come from. I am very much a novice in the set construction department, but some of the biggest lessons for me came as I burned the midnight oil working on the set. Some great friends gave up their valuable time to help me (examples of true selflessness!), and when I was there by myself, it allowed me to think, to pray for my cast, to listen to sermons, or to simply meditate. A few nights, the work required several hours, and it was good for me to have those late hours of silence with God.
Although I hope to never have to be on that type of a time crunch again, the memory of it is quite special to me.


The play was based on the true story of Dr. Jacob Gartenhaus, the founder of the International Board of Jewish Missions. The play tells the story of his life, how he was raised in a Jewish home, troubled by Jewish theology, immigrated to America, and gave up a promising future as a businessman to follow Christ and share the gospel with his people. When selecting a sacred piece for the play, my coach - Bobbi Shepp- and I both wanted it to be centered on the gospel message- Christ and His saving grace.
While this was the thrust of the play, the message was in fact two-fold. The example that Dr. Gartenhaus set during his lifetime was that of sacrifice in the name of Christ. While his life was an extreme example of what a Christian may be asked to give up, it does ignite the question, "Would *I* be willing to do the same?" I wanted my cast to share the message of the gospel through the play with their unsaved friends and family, but the question of personal surrender was the message I wanted the cast to internalize and to consider. The other beautiful thing about this wonderful script was that the cast now has an understanding of some of the basics of Jewish as well as how one ought to witness to a Jew.
The script incorporated Scripture in a smooth way, and I am so thankful that we also walked away from a play having learned more of God’s Word. It is a hard thing to find a sacred script that is informative and carries a strong spiritual message, but also holds attention and keeps the audience engaged. I am very grateful that The Wilds produced such a wonderful piece and let us use it ! They were so helpful throughout the entire process!

                For me, this play was one of the dearest experiences of my life. I was slightly terrified that the kids would be disappointed to have me as their director and not the fabulous Miss Shepp, and I am so grateful that they were willing to work with this newbie. Now, as I am getting closer to graduation, I am realizing that of all the people that I will miss after I leave, these kids are certainly right at the top of the list.

Learning the culture of the Academy and all of the little details that do go into making that place tick was quite the task, but thankfully God gave me a fabulous assistant student director! Without Bethany Saxon, I would have been lost and I do not know how the play would have ever happened without her. As I began to feel like I would never be able to juggle it all, God put people into my life at just the right time. I am so thankful for my college friend, Kelly Nupson. She never ceased to amaze me with her eye for detail and her consistent,helpful spirit.


God granted me a love for these kids that I still do not fully understand. I am never thought of myself as the “soccer mom” type, but I found myself getting excited about even the smaller details in their life. I had never loved a group in the same way that I love these kids, and I know that it was God - He was kindling a love for these kids that He had given me a few years ago. Love, of any kind, is a funny thing; I really had no control over what was happening in my heart. I just loved them- completely. It probably is the most intense projects I had ever taken a part of, but it was a wonderful new world that I still miss dearly. Working with Bobbi Shepp was nothing short of fantastic! Although it did turn out to be the last Academy play for her, she graciously
“shared” it with me and taught me more than I probably even realize. Not only did she impart her wisdom in the realm of theater, she sacrificed her time for me, personally, she opened up her home when I had to come back early from breaks before the dorm was open, and she was always, always there to support, to reassure, and to guide me. I consider her a dear role model, mentor, and such a wonderful encouragement. She showed me not only a clear example of a good strong director, but more importantly she showed me what a godly life looks like.

 The way she pours herself into the lives of others, the way she perpetually sacrifices her time and her energies, the way she is the cheerleader for everyone around her, she has been a golden example and I love her so much.


All in all, I am still so thankful to God for giving me the chance to work with these incredible kids and this has been an experience that I will never, ever forget.











"Stab the bear"
 


No comments:

Post a Comment