Friday, July 29, 2011

Enjoy Being a Guy :)



Believe it or not, I am at camp and I actually have a free minute to do some blogging! For the first time, I checked my blog stats, and my last blog written to girls about girls kind of dominated the chart… Obviously, the topic of girls or guys or girls/guys is a constantly discussed topic that we all have some opinion on. Well, I toyed with the idea of writing on the topic of guys and I did not for a while out of fear that I would not handle that topic with the due to respect. Guys, please hear that this is something I am doing for the plain and simple fact that there might be something in here that you’ve never heard before. I am not writing this out of exasperation or disrespect to basically half of the world’s population. Not every guy needs to read this and that may include you. I have met more than one guy that seems to understand what I believe to be Biblical manhood and so to that group of fellows I say THANK YOU and keep up the great work!
Where to start? Allow me to start off with my admittance that I do not have all of the answers nor do I have this whole thing figured out. I am just trying to put out there what I hear from so many girls and my own heart. What do girls want? Haha….we don’t really know. We don’t! At least, we don’t know all of what we want, but there are a few things GODLY girls want:
Spirituality
Live a challenging life. Live a life that is in tune with God almighty. Have daily devotions. Do good girls really value the fact that a guy has one on one time with God? Heavens, yes. Do girls really want the guy to be in charge of his own life? Heavens, no. GOOD girls want a guy that has surrendered everything to his Father and is willing, truly willing, to submit to God’s leading; even if it would mean that she would have to live a harder life. Spirituality doesn’t mean that you have to get up and preach every Sunday, no! Go ahead and work behind the scenes if that is where you are gifted, just please care about the things of God more than your favorite team. Please care about lost souls more than what is for dinner. Care about church visitation more than the latest NFL draft. A good girl would want you to love God more than you love her. In the long run, you would be doing her so much more good. Spirituality has many different aspects and applications, but faithfulness to church should not be an issue. Faithfulness to very actively SERVE in the church is huge. A man’s willingness to serve in whatever avenue means more than a salary. A heart of God would more than cover a pitiful paycheck any day of the week. A GOOD girl will not stress over your actual vocation or even how nice of a house you could give her, only how tender your heart is toward God.
Leadership
Maybe this is just me, but I would say first and foremost girls, good girls, really just want guys to learn to take the lead. I am not talking about just relationally, but good grief, it does put us in a funny place when guys never try and lead off in ministry or projects. It is very strange for me to be in a place of giving guys an order….unless he is constantly taking a backseat to leadership. If this is the case, when it comes right down to it, I don’t respect his opinion or his ability enough to truly value it. If he is trying to make things easier for himself by waiting on orders, what choice do I have in the matter? Please guys, it should only be the natural thing for you to want to be an active participant.
Respect
Everyone wants respect and girls are no exception! How do you display this kind of respect day-to-day to girls? Be a gentleman  This really is as huge to us as we make it out to be. Little things mean ever so much to us! Personally, I don’t want a guy to just treat ME in a chivalrous way, but girls in general. Some guys say they worry that if they act chivalrous to a girl she’ll take it the wrong way… Not if you treat the entire female population in the same exact way! (Unless she just wants to read into something… that much would be true anyway.) Please, please, pleeeease open the door for a girl. Please run and get the car from the parking lot when it is raining. Please carry heavy things so she doesn’t have to. Please offer her a chair if there is not one available. Basically, please just take the opportunity as it comes and the world will be a better place! Now I do realize that this country is terribly confused about gender differences and if a girl would act so rude, unrefined, rough and boorish as to refuse your trying to treat her like a lady, please do not let this stop you from at least trying to do the right thing.
Discipline
Any character trait would do here, but discipline covers a wide range of things. Discipline would mean you made the right choice even when it was seemingly impossible. Discipline would mean you could take care of a job without being told a million times to do it. Discipline means maturity. Discipline means protection. Allow me to shed a little more light on this one. When a guy is physically disciplined, this means that if the occasion ever occurred, he could provide protection for the girl. Good looks aside, physical discipline could be a huge clue as to how much you really believe in personal discipline. Personal discipline flows into most areas of life such as how good a worker, how good a steward and how diligent and faithful a person is. You don’t have to be Rambo, that is not my point at all! Discipline can be expressed in many areas of life, but laziness is a hard thing to hide.
Humility
There is a reason why I put humility after discipline! Maybe there is a guy reading this that thinks he has it all figured out and maybe has only used this blog as an ego boost. The biggest turn off is some guy plowing through the entire world and trying to be Mr. Showoff. Trying to get the whole world to see what you can do or trying to gain attention by going on Facebook every day and listing how much you just bench-pressed is nasty; just plain nasty. A cocky person is easy to spot and it is easier to gain the reputation as one. A loud, obnoxious, arrogant person is very hard to talk to and it is even harder to live with. Arrogance is just showing self-centeredness and it is an easy trap for some to fall into; that’s why I’m trying to tell you this! Not all girls, but the good gals I know DESPISE cockiness! Seriously, this is something that could really be hindering so many things in your life, not just the respect of girls. People in general will write you off because of your pride. I am not saying girls are not guilty of this same fault, but girls will disregard your opinion if this is true of you.
Hey, play with some kids. Don’t be too stuck on yourself to “lower yourself to their level.” It says a lot about a guy that is willing to spend time with little tykes. Being as proud as to think you have the privilege to flirt with every girl that passes by can be just....ugh.
All in all, love God, follow His leading, and talk to him daily. Enjoy being a guy. There is just something disturbing about a guy that gets freaked out by dirt & mud. Wear blue jeans. Please do not scream when you see a bug… Shoot guns. Don’t walk like your mama. Don’t sit like your sister. Thank God for the fact that you are a guy. Wear a pocketknife. Let the girls collect the daisy chains. Now, go get a steak 

PS
Any girl
that wants to comment, go ahead. But be respectful or I will take care of it :)

2 comments:

  1. All I have to say is 1) It's Ruger. Rugger is a rugby player. 2) One of the best .22s is the Ruger 10-22. Bobby should have taught you that. ;-) and 3) I just happen to know the difference between teal and aqua.

    And I'll provide some pushback on your "Leadership" section. Guys are tired of mealy-mouth girls(to borrow from Gone with the Wind) who have no spunk and no ability to take care of themselves. If you're constantly standing around looking for a guy to guide you, I'm not interested. If I think something needs to be done, I'll say so and lead a group. But when I ask your opinion on something and the girl says, "Well, you're the leader." You've just become dispensable. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) In the blog you read about what I wrote to girls I kinda list off all that I have been raised to be able to do--- think and work is def on that list! If you ask my opinion, I will give you just that but then I will respectfully follow whoever is leading the group whether my advice is taken or not. It has been my experience that girls oftentimes have opinions but little follow-through or respect to the leader(another blog for another day!).
    And the guns... kinda proves my point, in a way ;) Thanks Jon. I've heard a lot about you lol

    ReplyDelete